Friday 22 June 2012

I've Run a Marathon. Who Would Have Thunk It?

Yes, I have run a marathon. In June 2012.

It started on the 1st of June, at the gym,on the treadmill and I have had 13 runs on it since then. In that time, ending today, I have run just over 43 kilometres. It has only taken 240 minutes, that's only 4 hours. Not bad, a marathon in 4 hours, just 4 and half months after the operation.

In other news...

Having graduated from ACL club I went back for a physio update with Clodagh. She did various pulling, pushing and twisting and seemed happy. Then I asked her if she wanted my stats.

"Ok." She said, suspiciously.

"I've been keeping a spreadsheet at home so I've got them all." This is for all the different exercises such as hamstring curls (28kg), leg press (124kg), knee extension (35kg).

The look on her face was a mixture of surprise, interest and astonishment. Not all of it admiring. Whilst it is useful for her in monitoring my progress I think she was a little disturbed that I had been documenting it all.

"I can email you the whole spreadsheet if you like. There's stuff on there above and beyond what you need and you might find it interesting. You could give it to other patients to use as a template."

"I've just got to go and check something."

She left for a bit. I thought it was so she could check to see if any other physios wanted to come and talk to me. I now think she just went away to avoid falling into a deep sleep.

She returned with some forms, and filled in various bits, using my data.

"It's going really well. The next couple of months will be the most frustrating. There are no new exercises to give you, you just need to carrying on building up the strength but you're doing really well."

I couldn't stop myself asking. "Of all the people who have had the operation, do you think I'm doing better than anyone else you've ever worked with?" I'm actually only twelve years old.

She looked at me for a bit, I think she wasn't sure if I was serious. "It's ok, you can tell me, I won't tell the others." She pondered a little longer.

"Well [pause] you're certainly ticking all the right boxes."

"Ticking the right boxes to be the best ever, or ticking all the right boxes for a good recovery?"

"Yes." She stood up and started folding things up. Our session was over and I am the best patient she has ever had, I think.

I skipped out, although I'm not really allowed to skip yet, but stopped when I realised I'd forgotten to tell her that I'd run a marathon. I went back, but she was with another patient. I'll tell her next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment